At Parkland Dental, your friendly general dentist in Sicamous, BC, we are committed to helping our patients achieve their smile design goals. If you’re looking for an impactful way to improve the appearance of your smile, dental bridges may be the answer.
What Are Dental Bridges?
Dental bridges are a dental restoration that is used to replace missing teeth. A bridge is made up of two or more crowns that are placed on the teeth adjacent to the gap, with a false tooth (pontic) in the middle. The crowns on either side of the gap are called abutment teeth, and the false tooth in the middle is called a pontic.
There are four main types of dental bridges:
- Traditional Bridges – This type of bridge consists of a pontic tooth with two dental crowns on either side of it. The crowns are placed on the teeth adjacent to the gap, and the pontic is suspended between them.
- Cantilever Bridges – This type of bridge is used when there is only one tooth adjacent to the gap. The pontic is suspended from the single crown that is placed on the adjacent tooth.
- Maryland Bridges – This type of bridge is made up of a pontic tooth with metal or porcelain wings on either side. The wings are bonded to the back of the adjacent teeth.
- Implant-Supported Bridges – This type of bridge is supported by dental implants that are placed in the jawbone. The implants act as the abutment teeth, and the pontic is suspended between them.
How Do Dental Bridges Work?
Dental bridges work by filling the gap left by missing teeth. When teeth are missing, the remaining teeth can shift out of position, causing problems with bite and jaw alignment. By filling the gap, a dental bridge can prevent these problems and restore the function and appearance of your smile.
The process of getting a dental bridge typically requires two or more appointments. At your first appointment, your dentist will prepare the teeth adjacent to the gap by removing some of the enamel. This is necessary to make room for the dental crowns that will hold the bridge in place. Your dentist will then take impressions of your teeth, which will be used to create a custom bridge.
While your bridge is being made, your dentist may place a temporary bridge to protect your teeth and gums. At your second appointment, your dentist will remove the temporary bridge and place the custom bridge in its place. The bridge will be adjusted to ensure a comfortable and secure fit.
Why Choose Dental Bridges?
There are many reasons why dental bridges may be the right choice for you. Some of the benefits of dental bridges include:
- Restoring the function of your teeth – By filling the gap left by missing teeth, a dental bridge can restore your ability to bite and chew properly.
- Improving the appearance of your smile – A dental bridge can improve the appearance of your smile by filling in gaps left by missing teeth and restoring the shape of your jawline.
- Preventing shifting teeth – When teeth are missing, the remaining teeth can shift out of position, causing problems with bite and jaw alignment. By filling the gap, a dental bridge can prevent these problems.
- Improving your confidence – Missing teeth can make you feel self-conscious about your smile. By restoring the appearance of your teeth, a dental bridge can improve your confidence and self-esteem.
- Durable and long-lasting – Dental bridges are a durable and long-lasting solution for missing teeth. With proper care, your bridge can last for many years.
If you’re looking for comprehensive dental care in beautiful Sicamous, BC, get in touch with Parkland Dental! Our friendly staff can answer any questions you might have about dental bridges and other cosmetic dental treatments we offer.